Monday, July 18, 2005

A Beautiful Conquest

It's not been until recently that I started reading books. Well, I was reading before... but not the novel or stories kind. I believed I couldnot sit with such a book for long... I felt wastage of precious time, may be a flat excuse to stay out of their world. I used to wonder when I see people sitting with a book for hours together, forgetting time, food and even sleep! I thought what could it be that binds them to such a boring stuff... a book with no colors, no pictures, all small fonts and above all, a thick one to hold... how innocent of me!

It's my second attempt with a thick book. I've heard about this book many times, from many people. But it was just now that the right time dawned to taste it, I guess. It was a sweet solitude over the weekend... I was blessed with this after quite a long time! A time all for myself, all by myself! And I wanted to make it special... wanted to explore on this book.

On thursday, I went to a books-corner near my office and inquired about it. The attendant said, "Sorry ma'm, we donot have it now. Here you have another book by the same author!" I somehow felt I am going to get it. I decided not to compromise. I said "no thanks" and left for home. I had an old bookstore in my mind as I walked back. I somehow was so sure that they would have it this time, though I had never been lucky enough to find what I wanted with them. It was dark by the time I reached the store and I walked in. This time too, I was unlucky. The person incharge there said "Oh ma'm, we just sold it out a day before!" Something was pressing my mind... "I was supposed to get it!" I came out blankly. It started drizzling slightly and became darker. "I have to hurry home before it starts pouring", I thought. Just then a bookseller across the road caught my eyes.

I had seen his collection many times as I had walked past his shop. He had Da Vinci Code, Who moved my Cheese & related books, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Great Indian Dream, Chanakya Theory (something to that effect) and so on. All his books were properly arranged on a blue plastic sheet on the pavement beneath a tree next to a petty pan shop. I vaguely thought he might have what I was looking for. The place was crowded with smokers, people waiting for auto, people wading their way on the small platform just to avoid the thick traffic and such. I was there, as part of the same crowd in a few seconds.

There was enough light just to see bold bright letters on any book's cover. I kept looking for it and couldnot find it, or rather recognize it, I should say. Again there was this imposing thought in my mind... "I should get it this time!" I asked the shop owner, "do you have 'The Fountainhead'?" my voice pausing in between in hesitation. He gave me a blank look and replied, "Look through the collection ma'm. you should be finding it here." I thought I shouldnt have asked him and sighed. I felt "How good it would have been if I could recognize the book just by it's cover in this poor light!" and started moving away from the crowd. But the thought was pulling me back..."Wait! I should get it before I go!" I don't know why but I turned back.

This time I was able to catch it! I could see the long thin letters spelling "Ayn Rand" and my eyes widened. It lay there quietly, at a dark corner of the collection as if waiting for my single glance. I had it in my hands the very next moment with my proud face beaming a wide smile! I couldnot wait to start on the book that I got with so much passion! But it was not as easy as I thought.

I was struggling though the book for initial few pages. I read a few paragraphs; looked at the clock; looked back at the book and continued with a sigh! "What has this author written?" "Oh it's so tough..." "But I heard very good review about it" "May be it's not for my kind!" "Do I have any other important (to be read as easier) work that is left pending?" "Oh I have lots of office work and I cannot concentrate on this now" These were the thoughts running through my mind during my struggle. I even dozed off sometimes. I saw myself literally fighting with it! It was a tough one.

On Saturday, I was able to sit with the book for a couple of hours at a stretch. I saw the book slowly giving up... I was able to relate to the characters, their character, the language, the flow... the descriptions beautifully rose from the book and enacted in the screen of my mind! I saw I finally won it! I was excited with my achievement and engrossed with the object of my conquest.

On Sunday I was totally with it, sparing a few hours for food and general chores. It was past midnight, the clock showing twelve-thirty five but I din't show any signs of keeping that book down until a pain due to strain started at my eyebrows and was slowly sinking into my eyes. I was still racing to finish atleast this paragraph... this page... this chapter... and it was
endless. It was then I slowly began to realize I was addicted!

A beautiful conquest silently made by the book, but with dignity! I did nothing but to smile at it. I saw no regrets but just a wonderful bond between us, just the two of us!

7 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Krish said...

Way to go DD...Way to Go....jus the same sort of thought and experience I had with Atlas Shrugged....to some extent unputdownabalinthewildestpossibledreams.

 
At 6:33 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Thanks Krish... Thanks for suggesting the book! :-)

 
At 7:53 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Bijesh said...

One thing about the book that stuck to my mind was how Rand described the so-called selflessness, charity and related "nobility".

 
At 9:41 PM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Anu said...

DD..first of all, nice post!! I can see the excitement thro' the writing..:) And Fountain Head, it is a wonderful book, no doubt, I admire the character of Roark...:)

 
At 12:48 AM, July 19, 2005, Blogger Anuradha Sridharan said...

Nice post, DD. I faced the same experience when I read the first few pages....thinking "Not my kind"....Maybe, I should cross the initial barrier for the story to sink in.

 
At 2:52 AM, July 19, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Hey ppl... really wonderful to see so my blog getting busy with your comments!

Biju, I'm just nearing the end of "E M Toohey" part. True... the descriptions on selflesness through this character was so very ironic!

Anupama dear, nice to see a "nice post" from you! ;-) I would rather reserve my comments on the book and characters for now... till I finish the book!

Hey Anu! I guess it's true with any book, the initial barrier! And I believe the initial struggle builds the bond with the book ultimately.

 
At 1:59 AM, December 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home