Thursday, January 05, 2006

My first day @ Music class

Heyya!! I've joined the carnatic music class finally. Well, if you rightly remember, I wanted to takeup Flute this year. But I didnt find a teacher or actually I did find 2 of them around my area, but both had stopped taking classes due to some personal reasons :( I blame it on my hard luck! So, I decided to improve my natural gift - my own voice! hehehe ;)

I peeped in hesitantly into the teacher's house where I find 4 students already singing - one in III class, one in VI I believe, other two were IT professionals around my age- one a gentleman and another was a lady. This cute young girl in III standard (her name is Shubha) is quite naughty. She said, "Uncle, today I want to listen to you singing in high pitch!" His voice was quite a base voice actually and I understood the prank. Did I hear her properly? Ofcourse! She was teasing him like anything and he was trying to escape anything directed from her. 'If this was the condition to some person already in the group, what will happen to a fresher like me', I was contemplating. She was a year senior to me there! :O

The teacher was always in smiles interspersed with false anger whenever the students didnot doing their homework or were making mistakes! I was sitting there, trying to get used to the feel of the place and the people over there, quietly listening, until all of my seniors had finished their practise. Then it was my turn! The teacher said, "Now, repeat what I'm singing. I want to check your voice." It was as if I had entered some interview or exam hall... a sudden heaviness in my heart and shivering in my voice when I heard myself echoing alone in the room. She said "Your voice is very good!" I was relaxed, not to mention I was self impressed too ;)

There was another important person in the hall- the teacher's mom, I think. The paati (grandma, around 80-85 years) was asking me what I was doing, where I was working and stuff, in typical paati's chatting style. She managed to converse very well in English and I presume it gave her some sort of pride in doing so. When I was about to leave, she was pointing at me and told her daughter "beautiful countenance." The teacher was giving a blank look, so did I. Now the paati was quick to ask "Do you know what is countenance?" The teacher said "no", to which the paati smiled with all pride and said "face". The teacher turned to me with a "too much!" kinda smile with raised eyebrows! The paati was such a cute darling, believe me!!

8 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Krish said...

All the best!!..Hope to meet the paati in Heaven- She must have been in hell with you in the music class anyways!:P

 
At 2:30 PM, January 07, 2006, Blogger ck said...

'Countenance', I did't know the word either. i bet the paati must have prepared for GRE seriously in her Times :-)

Good luck DD, If there is anything like a audio post, I think I will hear it in your blog soon :-)

 
At 11:04 PM, January 07, 2006, Blogger Anu said...

hahahaha!! DD..I had such a good laugh reading this post!!! :D..Hope to hear you sing soon!!

 
At 11:13 PM, January 08, 2006, Blogger Skely said...

DD singing... ha ha ha ha...
I have heard you sing only "Birthday Songs"... Wondering how you would sing Carnatic Songs...

Anyone who praises you, will become cute and darling for you..Grow Up DD....

 
At 2:36 PM, January 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can imagine you with ur classmates... hehe.. the same suituation I had 2 yrs before in chennai whn i joined a music class.all my classmates were just KG to 1st grade. Whenevr the teacher comes late, these kids ask me permission togo to restroom("miss,can I go")..funny isnt? but njoyed a lot.

good luck..

 
At 9:18 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger DD said...

Hey Krish, hehe... quite a close guess, eh?

CK, seriously... even I thought she was too good for her age and health!

Anu dear, sure thing... hope I get better than when you were struggling to teach me 'vaseegara' song long back! :)

Skely, I was not referring to her compliment but her wit. Does your brain ever work straight?

Hey Sangeetha! hahaha... my situation is the other way round! I'm praying that they donot rag me ;)

 
At 9:36 AM, December 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» »

 
At 4:41 AM, February 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home