Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Some favorites, some dreaded

How many subjects, their respective books and not to forget the staff that handled them, have given us company, right from the day we all stepped into our schools... From the "English Rhymes" book that had a 'guitar & "pussy" cat' picture in it to cursive writing to formulae to political-physical maps to chemical equations to Mughal dynasty to Thamizh seyyul padalgal to third language as Hindi and what not. Quite a rich (re)collection!

My toughest time, I would say I had, was with Maths. Oh, I hated it with all my heart. Why should I be interested in some snail crawling up the stick or when the two strange people (or for that matter trains or cars) meet covering some distance in opposite directions? And dont even ask about memorising the multiplication tables! I remember my maths "classwork" notebook to be full of striken out pages and blots of ink screaming out that something went really really wrong then! oh, that was a bad time in fifth or sixth class. But somehow I grew to ignore the 'why' part and just concentrate on the 'what's - the formulae, the problem, the same old standard approach... It was easier then to score marks. Life becomes easier when you donot question or think, isnt it? Strange!

Then came the social studies. The early morning exam preparations, the writing down and memorising the "capital of Jammu and Kashmir" to "folk dance of Assam and Bihar". As if this was not enough, I had to read about everything around the world too. Mississippi - how much I struggled to get that spelled right to my dad then! Phew!! When it came to maps, I was quite happy with the colors and symbols :) I liked History for the great things we studied about but felt Civics to be more dry and full of rules and procedures! The preamble... aggggrrrhh!! We used to play "book cricket" with history books as it had the maximum number of pages!

My neighbour aunty's favorite passtime was to read my Tamizh classwork and homework notebooks! This subject had great many trouble makers in groups like "na,Na; la,La,zha; ra,Ra" and so on. Actually, even I do the same now, when I get hold of my younger cousin's tamizh notes. Once I asked my cousin (studying second standard) to read what he had written. Instead of "Oosai" he read it as "Onach" ROTFL! I should admit I liked the seyyul songs- the kambaraamayanam, puranaanooru, aganaanooru, abhirami andhaadi... anything I missed out here?

English - This always topped the list whenever I putdown all the subject I had, but I never felt any special affection or disgust towards it. Pretty non-aligned, I should say. Well, in nineth class, when we had the group activities like presenting a radio show and stuff, I quite enjoyed it and thats the only memory ever left for this subject.

First of my favorite subjects is Science, more specifically biology and then physics when it was later split into 3 separate books. Chemistry again was such a dry mystery. Too much to remember without making any sense to yourself. Anything with living things, the cells, the body parts and their operation, the brain, the diagrams - everything was so much fascinating and nothing else made somuch sense. I never felt any inclination to Computers in school except that it was very easy- the binary, hexa, octa arithmetic & generations of computers and such. So here I'm, a software professional, who was very passionate about biology until fate decided otherwise!

The third language, Hindhi class, was more like a recreation class than any serious learning. Luckily or otherwise, our Hindi teacher happened to be our music teacher too. She was pretty old lady and would forget what subject she was to take during that period. She used to enter our class for Hindhi period and start singing :D Great fun we had, especially in confusing her out and getting cute scoldings from her! "Naalu naalaiku uppillaama kanji oothina elaam sariya poidum!", she used to say. (If you are given saltless starch food for four days, everything would be alright!) Very cute, indeed! By the way, after thinking and writing about all this, I felt so good to find this!

8 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, December 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never used to like civics...and a couple of other subject just because of the teacher..

but it used to be fun to learn such a variety of subjects...missing them all...this stupid IT field have eroded memories of all other interesting subjects...

 
At 4:32 AM, December 28, 2005, Blogger DD said...

VJ, I think most of us find it the same... subject likings depend on the teacher :) Truly missing that variety now!!

 
At 8:00 AM, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the times, i found that i liked the subject so much but hated the staff equally well. And for the subjects i hate ( like biology ) the staff will be too good.

- Sudar.

 
At 9:44 PM, December 28, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Hey Sudar, fair enough. I would say I had experienced both ways... I dint like Tamil much until I got this teacher in my 11th. But science was always my favorite, irrespective of the teacher :)

 
At 11:25 PM, December 28, 2005, Blogger Skely said...

I hated Science that too chemistry to the core.yuk it was..Still cannot stand that subject...


Just \loved Maths,Geography,History and Civics.

Luckily for me I got the best teachers for my favourite subjects and the worst form my less liked ones...

This atricle is taking me back to my past...

 
At 12:07 AM, December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarojini Naidu!:P..Oops.Sarojini amma...pub(l)ic hair....Kanchana amma...Ko(a)ranghanathan....Kicha...Jollu Kicha...Geo Gouri...Senthil...Ruby(++drooling++)...Eco...Ganesan..vaetti venkatesan....pottai...Manikam..roudy robert!!...So much more names...faces....n how can I forget the Anna Univ returned Maadu(I forgot the real name though)

Warm memories....Very warm Memories!!!...

~U know who!

 
At 12:33 AM, December 29, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Hey Skely, I know why you like especially "Maths"? ;)

Krish! Wow... all the nicknames coming out in a shot! Best part is I came to know most of it from you... Well, here are a few that you maynot know... we used to call Manickam as "Indian thatha" and Robert as "IAS" (Invisible after six) ;) Haha... compsci sir is Thirumoolam. To write about our teachers needs a separate post altogether!

 
At 5:07 AM, December 29, 2005, Blogger Anuradha Sridharan said...

DD, your article took me back to my school days. Inspired me to write a post on that :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home