Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Who says Cooking is easy?

Today, though a holiday, my brother had gone out with his friends [oh, poor me!] So I thought of cooking my lunch [Actually I dint have an option, but never mind]. I started looking around for raw materials (vegetables/ pulses/ onion-tomato/ etc etc). I had soaked channa y'day night for making "sundal", something special for Vijayadasami. It was in proper form, how lucky! [ya, you have to be lucky everytime you enter the kitchen, for, you can never guarantee that what you intend to make is what you land up making!]

There was half gobi. The other half I cooked yesterday. That's a biiig story in itself... I started cooking and the electricity went off in the middle [see, one of those lucky aspects was missing then] and I couldnt see a thing properly. I had turned off the stove as my hunger was killing me and I couldnt wait any more. The dish was all fine, except that I wanted to make a Gobi fry and it turned out to be Gobi gravy! But believe me, it tasted heavenly!! mMMmm.... Hey, I'm deviating from the topic... where was I?

Han, there was half gobi. I determined to give "Gobi fry" a second attempt today! Now, what will I do for the main dish? The maidservant had not come today and half the utensils were unclean [Again those lucky stars playing around with my kitchen!]. Thank god, I had not used the cooker yesterday :-) Okie, I would make jeera rice then! Wait a minute, but doesnt that require some kozhambu (means gravy)? How many items will a single person single handedly make to have a single lunch? Uff! Hey, dint I say the channa was in good form already? :-D So that became the "Jeera-Channa-Rice". [Oh did someone say your creativity is at it's height when you are in the kitchen?]

First I started with the Gobi, coz it takes more time to cook than rice. So when it is all prepared and set on stove you can lesuirely work on the rice part! [I call that "time management" tactics]. Finally I got both the dishes set on the stove. By the time it gets cooked I thought of taking a break. So I sat down at my computer and was browsing through blogs... The cooker was warning regularly with it's whistles. When it was time, I promptly went to switch it off and oh, what was that? The gobi fry was already spreading burntout smell! OMG!!! My lunch!!! :-(
Good that the vegetable had not gotten burnt yet, only the vessel was pitch black. I had to remove the dish before it absorbs the burning odour [You have to act real fast when in a rescue operation] And there I was with a plate of gobi fry and jeera-channa-rice! :-)

With so many tactics, lucky stars and hidden parameters involved, when you say you had cooked something and it came out good, it's a very big achievement! Now, who says cooking is any easy job, huh?

11 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DD, for cooking to be easy, one must have a habit of cooking everyday, like me :-)

if u need any cooking tips, for a price, let me know. ;-)

just one bad part is - when i try to make a gujarati dish, it turns out to be south-indian!

 
At 4:07 AM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Anuradha Sridharan said...

Cooking is damn easy, DD. Believe me....get some good recipe books and keep trying something new everyday.

The most important point is "Do NOT try to multitask cooking with other work like browsing, watching TV or chatting. If you are cooking, then better be in kitchen till you complete."

I usually increase the volume of TV while in kitchen so that I can hear a movie :-)

 
At 10:26 PM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Skely said...

Gandhe,
I hope it's not the same when you search for a bride too..

"when i try to search a gujarati bride, it turns out to be south-indian!"

-- Skely

 
At 4:03 AM, October 14, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Hey VJ, why don't you putup some of your cooking tips in your blog... should be very helpful for people like me :)

Anu, very true... it's easy to cook like that, but you need special talent to multitask... and I was trying to develop that!

Good one Skely... but Gandhi, will your mom accept the gujju-to-southIndian transformation?

 
At 7:47 AM, October 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skely, you missed one important part in ur statment. Just prefix that with "one good part is -".

okie, just kidding!

i don't know whether my mon will accept the gujju-to-southindian transformation, in case there is one at all.

my cooking recipe very generic and easy to follow: add the stuff u want to cook in a kadai, add all the masalas in ur sight, wait for some time. done. food cooked!

 
At 2:53 AM, October 15, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Wonderful VJ, yours looks very similar to mine. Even I put all the masalas I could reach at that time! So you know we are adding that dynamic element to our product... never twice does the same dish taste the same!

 
At 8:48 AM, October 15, 2005, Blogger abc said...

just to add though never bothered to cook. but I tried to make or rather turned out to be so called veg biryani -:). Put everything in cooker wait for 3 whistles. Its done -:)..

Cooking is damn simple..Thats why I don't try to put my hands in simple stuff

 
At 9:56 PM, October 16, 2005, Blogger Skely said...

Prof,

What do you mean by "Put everything"...

What a crazy statement..
Don't tell me if you out "coffee powder and milk" and it turns out to be Biriyani..

Don't make arbitary statements.. Be specific..

-- Skely

 
At 11:28 PM, October 16, 2005, Blogger DD said...

Hey Prof, what did you think of Mr.Skely? For him anything is possible... "coffee powder and milk in rice-cooker"!! ROTFL Oh, I can't imagine *that* in the wildest of my dreams ;-)

 
At 9:21 AM, October 18, 2005, Blogger abc said...

skely,
try out and let me know what it turns out to be -:)

 
At 7:28 PM, February 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Side effects zyban wistler radar detectors kolektor renault didrex buy didrex onli online pharmacy Hairclub com 180 keyword propecia merit scholarship statistics http://www.faucets-6.info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home